Monday 23 April 2007

DIRTY LEEDS



Things were getting very twitchy in the Fuhrer Bunker this weekend, listening to 'Dirty' Leeds hold out with 10 men for 85 minutes, until BWP found the onion bag. Now Saints still have an outside chance of going up and now Leeds look odds on for the drop. I try not to put football references in the blog, but I just can't stand Leeds, ever since the 70's and outraged my brother by cheering on Munich to win the European cup against them!

On the building front, things are starting to take shape, and I got to use a new power tool! When the windows were replaced, a couple of tiles had to be removed by the front door, so I finally got to use my new electric tile saw. It's a small table saw, with a disk cutter and a water tray to cool it down. It can even be set at an angle for mitre cuts. When I think of the hours I've spent doing this in the past with a handsaw. This did two tiles in two minutes.

Once I'd finished playing with my new toy, it was back to the plasterboard, finishing off the back wall. This required lots and lots of cutting, to get round the roof joists, and a lot of battening out at the top of the walls, as there was a deep recess where the stonework finished. Tina came up with a top idea for this, to use the steel rails that you would use to make a partition wall, instead of wood, and this was a lot quicker than trying to put wood up there.




The wall is now boarded up from end to end, cutting it out as much as possible around the stone features on the windows, and the old beam on top of the french windows ( or doors as they are known over here. I have even done a little bit of stone masonry, cutting and fitting some limestone on the ends of the window sill to fill in a gap.
It's not easy trying to keep some of the original features, but hopefully we will be able to mix the new insulated walls with some of the old , to retain a bit of character.
I've also done a succesful continuity test on the earth for the sockets in this room, using my training at last.

No comments: